Piya Project & MAST Community resilience
Fishing is a notoriously dangerous occupation in Thailand with so much of the labour coming from low-wage migrants who can be, trafficked or illegally employed. Many are in enforced labour or slave –like conditions. So many others are out to sea for months and some for years. We have met one fishing labourer who never set foot on land for 17 years. One of the key problems is that no one knows where these boats go, who is on board, and where they are fishing. They leave the fishing ports and are almost invisible.
Dorna helps head up MAST (the Multi-Stakeholder Initiative for Accountable Supply Chain of Thai Fisheries) was set up to address the root causes of human trafficking and IUU (Illegal, Unreported, Unregulated) fishing in the fishing sector. One of these ways is promoting the use of solar powered transponder that reports boat locations 600 times an hour. They have found and supported Piya Thedyam at Ban Tung Noi, Kuiburi about 4 hours south of Bangkok.
Piya thinks actions speak louder than words so he has set up a trial for the MAST sponsored transponders to track local fishing boats and set up a crab hatching tanks and fish home for spawning fish that boat owners catch. He commits himself to protect the abundance and diversity of the sea and with it the safety of the fisherman. His fishing community will be the pioneer to develop full digital traceability of seafood and the genuinely sustainable fishery.
Piya has large chest freezers that take the weeks catch of filleted sustainable fish and they take them to market on Saturdays to a fishing market in Bangkok where people are eager to buy ethically, sustainable seafood. It is a story of hope for a better fishing culture.
Squid Rings in Sweet Chilli Cream Sauce
- 3 good sized squid tubes
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 200 mls cream
- 1 tbsp oil
- Cut squid tubes into around 1cm rings – be sure to remove clear rib before cutting if present
- Heat oil in frying pan or skillet and add the squid rings and cook till opaque and remove from saucepan.
- Add the garlic and lemon juice and keep moving around the pan for around 30 seconds. Add the cream and then the sweet chilli sauce and mix well. Let bubble away and reduce the liquid – around 3 minutes.
- Add the squid rings back into the mixture and coat well.
- Serve with white rice or steamed vegetables